Learning to Fly Cakes and Pastries: Baby Boy Shower Tower

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Jamaica, Grandma, Sweet Rolls, and Me


I spent the afternoon baking sweet rolls for some very precious people from my church.  They, along with their fearless leaders, spent the last week of their summer break from college on a mission trip to Jamaica, where they taught Bible school and ministered to the needs of the people there.  What a picture of Jesus they must have painted for the children there.  As I baked this afternoon, I thought of my Grandma Clark.  I thought of her for many reasons....first, I was using her recipes although I'm quite sure not with the skills she had; secondly, because she, like the young people of my church, loved Jesus with all of her heart.  She LIVED Jesus every day.  Did she go on mission trips or teach Sunday School? No, but as a small child, I watched her open her little Bible every morning and read and pray.  I watched her as I grew, and those habits never changed.  In a lot of ways, I feel like I'm a lot like Grandma Clark.  She liked baking as do I, although I came to it later in my life than did she.  We are both pretty transparent. Grandma was Grandma -- what you saw was what you got...and I am SO like that as well.  I'm not very good at pretending anything.  Also, she could burp any man under the table....fortunately, that characteristic skipped a generation.  Talk to my daughter, Kim, about that talent!  I'm not as dedicated to Christ as I feel she was, but I'm working on that.  How I miss Grandma, and how I enjoyed thinking about her this afternoon as I baked for my friend, Beckey, and her Sunday School Class!
Grandma's Cinnamon Rolls
Cheese Danish

1 comment: